Skip to main content

Lady, are you crazy?

I had a stroke of insanity today and took Kadence and Jakob with me to Easton so I could return a few items. We went to Macy's and the cashier gave them both a square of bubble wrap to pounce on while we did our exchange thing. We held hands and walked across Easton to the train exhibit so they could run back and forth, back and forth, back and forth to watch as much of the train as they could. We rushed into Barnes and Noble so they could both go to the bathroom, even though as soon as they walked in both said they didn't have to go. Yes, I was that woman sounding exasperated as she pleaded with her kids to "just try to go", yes I was the woman who it must have sounded like I was abusing my kids as they said "stop it mommy! Leave me alone mommy!" as I coaxed them into going to the bathroom because not 10 seconds ago they both grabbed themselves and shouted "I have to go!!"

We said goodbye to the train and as the both started moaning about how hungry they were, my brain quickly assessed the parent to child ratio. I decided to risk it and took them to Max and Erma's. It was typical, they fed off of each other and my hair was standing on end by the time we left.

Obviously I needed more. I took them into the Aveda store, told them nicely that this was a "no touch store." I Grabbed what was needed as my kids were tackling each other and moving shelf tags around and made my way to the cash register. The very lovely aveda lady then asks if I would like to take part in the hand treatment she was about to give two customers.

I looked at the kids, I looked at her, and I imagined what the store would look like after I finished the treatment. One word: Disaster waiting to happen. (ok so it wasn't one word, but disaster needed help being described.)

Meanwhile, my kids are being unruly and I keep telling them to "get over here!" "Don't touch that!" "stop that!"

I point to the both of them and shake my head no. Then I politely say "If you want your store to remain looking like this, I best not." while what I really wanted to say was: "LADY! are you CRAZY! look at my hethens! imagine how they would be if I sat over there with my hands in a bowl of soapy water for 10 minutes!" That is NOT what I call relaxing.

I left the store with product in hand and her store still in tact. As we three walked hand in hand to the car I thought how spoiled I was when I just had Krischan. He would have sat there quietly while I did the hand treatment. How foolish I was to think he was so good because of my parenting skills. How foolish I was to look at other parents who had the crazy unruly children, and think "take control!"

Trying to take control of two free-spirited kids is like trying to coax a tornado on a different path than the one heading toward your home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr