Skip to main content
I had to share this post from Facebook by my cousin Bailey. His words ring very true, and I stand by them. I feel as a society we need to move forward and not backward. Learning to accept everyone for who they are and not forcing everyone into what we feel they should be.

Bailey's post:

Just in case the Georgetown Times doesn't post my response...

Mr. Brock,
Your recent opinion article on the topic of same-sex marriages saddened me. Not only as a gay man, but as a forward thinking American citizen, I whole-heartedly disagree with you on your views. No matter what kind of intentions President Obama had for announcing his support of same sex marriage, he will be relieved one day when he finds his beliefs to be on the right side of history.
You say, “The biological premise of the joining of one man and one woman is propagation of the species.” If that’s true, why should elderly people be allowed to get married? Or heterosexual couples who can’t conceive children? Should they be banned from marriage and the rights that come with it because procreation will not be apart of their matrimony? I probably shouldn’t even venture into the topic of same-sex couples adopting; God forbid the millions of children in orphanages and foster homes find a loving and caring home.
Also just in case you are unaware, animals have no legal standing in the sense of marriage. They physically don’t have the capacity to sign a marriage contract. To me, your point insinuating that same-sex marriages will lead to other “kinky arrangements”, sounds like a cheap blow stemming from a societal fear to accept something that may appear to be “uncommon.”
And if you think gay couples will ruin the sanctity of marriage, what do you think about Britney Spears’ 55-hour marriage to Jason Allen Alexander or Newt Gingrich’s three marriages? Why aren’t you writing letters about Kim Kardashian’s display of ostentatious exploitation of the holy sanctity of marriage? These marriages certainly seem to be preserving the idea of a holy matrimony.
As a former college professor, I shouldn’t have to school you by making you aware that church and state are separate entities. Although marriage has religious connotations and practices, the word is one defined by our government. Marriage grants benefits that civil unions do not.
How exactly would legalizing same-sex marriage directly affect your own marriage? Where in Connecticut or Massachusetts, among other states, has same-sex marriage led to negative consequences? Maybe you think legalized same-sex marriage will increase the likeliness of making your children or grandchildren gay. Might it lead to the demise of your own marriage? I have a simple answer for you: No. Straight couples conceive gay babies. Regardless of whether or not same-sex marriage is legalized, gay children will still be born and will still want to be treated as equal citizens. Just imagine, as impossible as you may claim it would be, that someone in your family was gay- would you honestly want the government and society to be able to deny them happiness, and even more importantly societal acceptance?
I don’t think you have any idea the kind of torture it is to grow up in a society that doesn’t view you as legitimate. Hearing people claim that it is a phase or a disease that can be cured makes homosexuality appear toxic to a child. How many children committing suicide will it take to get people like you to realize it’s not a choice? This fundamental fight for marriage isn’t just about wanting equal rights. It’s teaching children to accept others and to bring our country to a new level of compassion and pride. If the Civil Rights Movement serves as any kind of example, it shows that decisions involving minorities should not be left up to the majority.
Also, I don’t “embrace” the gay lifestyle. I was born gay. It is just another one of my labels: white, southern, student, etc. Being gay doesn’t define me; it only classifies my sexual orientation. The sooner our society realizes and accepts this, the closer we will be to a land true to its words of “all men are created equal.”
You may find my response cynical, but I’m just trying to set you straight, no pun intended, on the issues I have with your article. Humans are fortunate enough to understand how to love, no one should be judged for how they direct that love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr