Skip to main content

Do-Over

I always look forward to Mother's Day. My kids are still little so I love spending the whole day with them. I am sure when they get older I will be spending Mother's Day at a spa away from them. But right now, as a family we always go out for brunch, then do various activities. One year we went to the zoo, another year we went for a hike, you get the picture.

This year appeared to be no different. I was greeted by Krischan first thing in the morning with a card and plant that he put together at school and was told that we were going to the Cheesecake Factory for brunch. My absolute favorite place for brunch and a place we have gone to the past two years. Rick and I then plan to take the kids to see Rio, then to a garden center to by my mother's day gifts of flowers and plants for our landscaping plans.

We are all ready to head out and I notice Rick is being a little slow and he tells me his body is just sore from working all day yesterday. okay...he also has a sore throat. (He left at 4am and got home at 10pm from working a day of TOSRV for some riders.) I tell him that we don't have to go and I can make breakfast if he doesn't feel good.

Now as a woman, I am saying this for my concern for him, but hopes in reality that his sickness will pass because I really want my monte cristo breakfast sandwich.

I get the "your speaking nonsense" look (which I wanted to see) and we all pile into the van. We are literally 5 minutes from the Cheesecake Factory and Rick looks at me and tells me we have to turn around and go home. You have got to be kidding me! Can't we just still go and you just sit in the van? I would never do that of course, but the thought did cross my mind.

As we were driving his illness escalated to the point where he literally thought he was going to throw up. I offer to drive us back home but it is obvious that he doesn't want to move, and get home as soon as possible. Not having any food yet, we quickly get to a drive thru to get food for the kids and head home.

I should have known at this point that the day was just going to keep falling apart. But I had hopes that Rick would feel better by the afternoon and we would still do something. (He heals pretty quickly, and I was feeling a bit sad that my brunch was cancelled.)

It at least was a beautiful and sunny day, warm for what seemed like the first time since last summer so I was going around opening all the windows. Rick had planted himself on the couch in the living room and was fast asleep already, snoring as loud as could be.

In the fall I take out the screens of some of the windows so that we have a "screen free" view, and they get stored in the basement. As I go down into the basement I am met with a few sights that needs to be taken care of right away. One, there is water all over the floor from our humidifier and two, one corner of our basement had a minor leak that now was showing white mold. Crap! What else can go wrong? This can't be mother's day, it has to be a really bad dream and I am going to wake up soon.

I have Krischan throw me down some towels to sop up the water in the one area, then grab a bucket of bleach and water for the corner. With face mask and gloves in place I scrub the basement wall to rid it of it's growing enemy. I then scrub the wall with detergent, place the fan on the wall to dry it out and open the creepy cellar type thing door to let some air flow in. A little part of me was hoping Rick would wake up miraculously healed and save me from this torture.

After that fiasco I noticed how hungry I was, but I needed to get the kids outside so that Rick could get his rest. Why doesn't he sleep in the bed you ask? Because I have it covered in folded clothes that needs to be put away. That will come later. I just shove a protein bar down my gullet and call it a meal.

After an hour of being outside it is time for naps, I put Kadence down and Jakob in my bed while I try to finish folding clothes. Luckily he falls asleep, and I am able to sneak downstairs to finally make myself a sandwich. At which time Rick wakes up and wants pizza. Crazy man, I tell him chicken noodle soup is what he is getting. If he ate pizza, he would be in deep shit. (If he ate pizza, that meant he could have suffered through brunch!)

The day being a wash I decide to go upstairs to get some grading done before dinner. Rick is still talking of going to get ice cream and maybe going on a short hike. I had begun to get hopeful also seeing that he was up and moving around.

Dinner gets made, plans are set, then the phone begins to ring, and Rick disappears into his office. I take the kids outside to play some more and finally at 6:45 Rick comes out to say "let's go get ice cream"

Yes, we only live 5 minutes away from the ice cream place, but by the time we load the kids up, then get there, they will be closed. I look at him and simply say "It is too late, we are not going." At this point I am overly cranky, get up from the hammock and tell him he needs to bathe the kids.

Kids in bed, I thank them for a wonderful mother's day. (Never tell your kids you had a bad day.) After they are all in bed, I gave Rick a test. "The only thing that can save this day is an oatmeal cream pie."

Another business call...no oatmeal cream pie. I give up and just go to bed.

Although, I do have to say, there was some normality to the day. I didn't get a card from anyone but Krischan. (They make one in school, Jakob is 3 and Kadence is almost 2, which leaves Rick in charge of getting cards from them to me, which never happens)
But here was the best part of my day:


Laying in the hammock while the kids played on the play set and I read my book about raising chickens. (that is a next year project)

So here is to hoping that next sunday, I get my mother's day do-over. Brunch at the Cheesecake factory, a movie, and some plants for my landscaping project. The most important thing though is the time with my family without anyone being sick!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr