Skip to main content

The perpetual life of the unfinished project

My husband and I have not learned the most important message of "finish one project before you begin another." I have mentioned before that our house was not built the best, or even to code. So when we take on a project, we actually end up doubling the normal time it would take because we are fixing everything that we noticed wrong that needs redone. I don't know why we can't finish a project, I do know that Rick and I are easily distracted, or torn from something we are working on quit frequently...they come in three's.

Let me take you on a little tour:

This is our pantry door. The door was replaced, but the trim hasn't made it back up around the door. It has been like this for about 3 years. (notice the holes in the wall? the huge one was from Krischan hanging on the coat hook that was there and ripping it out of the wall. The other holes are from me removing the other coat hooks in wanting to move them to another wall, which has not been done as of yet. I took them off the wall in January, of this year.)


This is the lone yellow boot that can't seem to find it's match. It sits here, underneath where I want to put the coat hooks. The boot has been missing it's match since the fall of 10' At least that is the last time I saw it.


Here is the ceiling above the pantry door that oooohhhh, in 2005 leaked so bad that I would literally have to put a bucket on the floor. It has finally made it to this stage, I think we do one thing every few years on this, which means next year it should be complete...Maybe.


here is the hall wall that I glued pages from a book to a couple years back. I still need to put a corner wood piece on the corner to keep the edges from being peeled off the wall.


the wall going into the living room gets beat up, so I spackled, sanded and primed it only to find out Rick had used the last of the matching paint color on the other wall the previous day. This was done at Thanksgiving last year.


And here is where the water from our broken washer leaked through the ceiling.
I can't remember when this happened, but it was pre-Jakob, which makes it roughly before the spring of 07'.


In the kitchen I was distracted this morning and haven't cleaned up the mess I made yet. Give me a break, it isn't even lunch time yet.


That mess isn't cleaned up yet because I realized I needed to empty and fill the dishwasher. I was then distracted, and the dishwasher wasn't emptied. What was it that distracted me...oh that's right, going around and taking pictures of unfinished projects.


Here are the stairs that I ripped the carpet off of in 03' I still have the 4 top steps to poly. (Notice the bucket of mud at the top.)


This is the mud that got put on the wall in our bedroom in the summer of 02'. The drywall isn't put together well so you can see the seams, which drives Rick nuts! Obviously not nuts enough to finish sanding so I can finally paint my bedroom.


Here is my paint experiment on my bedroom wall. I didn't like it so I stopped. That was back in 08'. But in all actuality, I can't really paint until the spackle is sanded down. (see previous picture)


This is our master bath. It got tore up because we saw that the pipes to the shower were held up by wire coat hangers. Yes, our house was built to code. The intent was to put it back together by the end of the year and have a brand-spanking new code correct bathroom. That was in July of 08'


Here is the kids bathroom floor. I need to grout it, hey, hey, don't get on me about this, it has only been torn apart for a month and I plan on grouting it tomorrow night so it can be put back together this weekend.


In my office, I promised myself I wouldn't start this project until I was done with the kids bathroom. Broken promise, I got excited. Wall is now sanded so that I can turn it into one big chalkboard for the kids. (This used to be Krischan's nursery.)


And turn around from that wall and you see my desk. The one that every week I tell myself that I am going to organize. That never happens by the way, I like to call it organized chaos.


Out the window you see our double-decker porch...Hey wait! I finished this project. Rick and I re-painted it this past summer with the help of my mom, only took us 2 days. See I finish some things...


Maybe this is why I don't finish projects. I primed the upstairs hallway so that I could paint it this winter. I never did get around to painting it because the writing that I covered up, came back magically. I am sure it walked right off that magic eraser and jumped back on the wall. Didn't have anything to do with Jakob and Kadence thinking it was a blank palate that needed some artwork...No that couldn't have been it.


Here are some windows that have no trim yet. But wait! this is actually a previous owners unfinished project. See, we even have projects that need done that aren't even ones we stared!


But look! I did finish cleaning up the breakfast mess and emptying the dishwasher. I told you I could finish projects...Now what was I doing before all this...That's right I was thinking of what color I could paint the laundry closet...

Comments

  1. I can't see what's on your desk to decide if anything is of interest to me:-) Nice blog and great projects....now finish one a week and you'll be in great shape before summer. xoxo Di

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr