Skip to main content

It's a Monday

Monday mornings are usually slow and easily turn into PJ days during the winter. I don't teach that day so I am not required to venture out of my home, even to check the mail. Today proved why Mondays should be treated as such.

The rain is coming down and since it is so cold it is on the verge of turning into a nasty sleety mess. Krischan is safely at school, after missing the bus, and my grocery list is staring me in the face telling me that if I don't go today, my family will starve by wed evening. So off Jakob, Kadence and I go for a quick jaunt to Kroger. Here is where my life kicks in.

Jakob loves apples. My parents always find little nibbles out of their apples they keep on the kitchen table and I have been known to find that random apple on the floor half eaten. In the produce section with Kadence sitting patiently in the cart (not really) I am standing in front of a beautiful array of them loading a bag up. Over to my right there is a stand that is shorter with red apples stacked up on it, precisely the same height as Jakob. Without taking his hands out of his pockets, he leans over and takes a bite out of one of the apples, then turns and walks away. "mmm...good" is his only reply as he munches. I guess I am buying that apple, which I of course did, but would have loved to have left it there and watched to see what people would've done once they had noticed it there.

As quickly as I got there I am done and have told Kadence to "Sit down!" about 837 times and told Jakob to "Get over here!" another 468. We smoothly go through the line, I pay and start heading out to the car.

Wait...

Where are my keys? Oh, I left them at the register. I go back, no one is at the register anymore and there are no keys. I check the customer service counter, no keys. I check back at the register, on the floor, on the ledge, no keys. How can a simple pair of keys disappear? A manager helps me look through my bags as another manager looks at video tape to see what happened. Here is what happened:

The woman behind me took them and left. Yes, only to me would this happen. When it is lunch time and I have two little kids with me that get cranky really fast. In waiting for this said woman to come back with my keys (the magic of using those shoppers cards) they eat a sucker given to them from one cashier that feels bad for me (great give them sugar on an empty stomach), two packs of fruit snacks that I had just bought and a few Crackers to hopefully counter balance all the sugar they just ate.

An hour after I check out I am with keys in hand, and heading out the door to finally go home. Note to self: Mondays should be left alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr