Skip to main content

Perfect day for beer can chicken

What seems like a really long battle for sanity, the universe backs off and gives Rick and I a day of peace. The feeling lately has been that it is looking for our breaking point, wondering when we will actually break down and cry mercy.

The weather was perfect and the only downfall of the day was that Krischan was sick. Not too sick though to come outside and lay in the hammock while Jakob and Kadence played.

These are the type of days I know I have all day to make a most wonderous meal. And after being beaten down, there is nothing more deserving and wonderous than beer can chicken.

I had two small chickens to cook since we had to cancel plans to have friends over. Not a big deal, since the meat can be in just about anything throughout the week.

Now, to make beer can chicken you need 1.) a whole chicken, as mentioned above and 2.) a can of beer. This posses a problem for Rick and I as we don't drink beer that comes in a can. I know, call us beer snobs, you won't break my heart.

What I do is empty a pop can and then just pour beer into it. At Thanksgiving, we do our turkey this way and I buy a fosters oil can. Perfect.

So, make your rub. Mine is paprika, celery salt, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. Notice no pepper. I hate pepper.


Then either empty your beer can half way, or fill it half way. After you do that punch some holes in the can to allow for the beer to escape during cooking. Then sprinkle in about 2-3 tbsp of the rub.


With a paper towel, pat your chicken dry and place the chicken over the beer can.



Yup, just sit that chicken right on the can.


No, you don't need to buy anything extra for the chicken to stay upright. The coke can holds the chicken up fine. Notice the chicken on the right is a little tight on the can...that's ok, tight is good. ehem. (This photo reminds me of the friends episode where Joey put a turkey on his head.)

Then rub the chicken good with the rub. You can of course do this before you put it on the can to keep from accidentally tipping over. I do things backwards sometimes.


Then, what I do is place a nice stick of butter in the left over rub.


Oh, yum, look at that buttery goodness.


This is what you will baste the chicken with while it grills.

Speaking of the grill, you want to place the chicken in indirect heat. So with a gas grill, turn on the outside burners and put the chicken in the middle. Charcoal, push to the edges of the grill and have the chicken in the middle.


Depending on how large your chicken is will depend on how long it takes to cook. I use a cooking thermometer to help me out. These two took about an hour and a half. At thanksgiving, the turkey takes about 2-3 hours. Nope, you never move the chicken, just let it sit there and cook. When it is done, just remember, chicken right off the grill needs to rest, so let it and resist cutting into it right away.


After they rest a bit, you can pull the cans out. This is a two person job, one to hold the chicken, one to pull. I either use tongs or just hold the chicken in my oven mits. They wash, and it is better than a chicken on the floor.


oh...yum...this is the kind of chicken you eat while you carve it. Then before you know it, your husband is next to you picking tastes here and there.

The chicken falls right off the bone and no piece is left behind. My husband makes sure of that.


and he is happy.


Make it, you won't be disappointed. If you are, you are crazy, don't like food, or cooked it wrong.

Thanks to my brother for introducing this recipe to me about 8 years ago.

Comments

  1. I'm going to need to try this. I've been craving chicken on the grill and corn on the cob. Yumm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr