Skip to main content

A day...

I often say that I can't wait until I am 40. Why? Because my 30's need to go away, and I am due for a good decade. Now, don't get me wrong, Some pretty wonderful things happened in my 30's. Two great kids were born...um, uhh,ok maybe only two wonderful things happened, but still, I am so ready for this decade to end.

Lately, here is a typical day:

Get up at 6:00am so that hopefully I can get a shower in before the kids wake up.
No luck, Kadence gets up and I sit her on the floor with a book while I shower. Every 2 seconds telling her to get her hands out of the toilet, quit eating the toothpaste, turn off the sink water, don't dunk Krischan's toothbrush in the toilet...

Very relaxing shower, I get out and get dressed. Jakob is up now asking for dad.
Me: Dad is at work in the shop
Jakob: But why?
Me: so he can make money and we can eat
Jakob: but I want me daddy (whining and crying ensues)
Me: but daddy is working, here let's get you dressed

Meanwhile, Kadence is getting into everything in my bathroom (remember, it is torn up) I go in to retrieve her and she has opened my box of tampons and pulled about ten of them out of their wrappings. Fun. Then I notice she ate some of my deoderant. Call number one to poison control. They continue to tell me she would have to eat the whole thing for it to have any effect on her. Just give her fluids to drink.

Breakfast time:
I get all three kids downstairs and I feel like a little french toast for the kids. Fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries and kiwi), powdered sugar.

Krischan doesn't like the blueberries or kiwi, Jakob doesn't eat the french toast, and Kadence eats it all. Chocolate milk for everyone, and Jakob is shaking his out of his sippie cup onto the floor. I clean that up and while I was doing that, Kadence got a hold of Krischans cup of chocolate milk and poured it on the floor.

Clean up on aisle 4...Good thing it is tile and not carpet.

Time to make Rick's breakfast, scrambled eggs, bacon, toast and fresh fruit.

Now my breakfast: an egg, some bacon and fresh fruit, but wait, Kadence and Jakobs plates are still on the table, let me get those, then I hear them upstairs.

I better go upstairs to see what they are getting into. By the time I make it downstairs, my breakfast is cold and I need to clean everything up. Krischan empties the dishwasher for me while I clean the table, which by the way looks like a food fight happened. All over the chairs, and the floor. I think instead of eating the food, my children smear it on the table, chairs and floor.

Kadence comes in and helps Krischan empty the dishwasher which ensues into him yelling at her to "Put it back!" or "Kadence, don't hit me with that!" or just a simple "KAAADEEENCE!!" emphasis mostly on the ence part of her name. This is the usual emptying dishwasher show, sometime Jakob is involved. But just imagine this happening for 10 minutes straight.

Meanwhile, Jakob has gotten into a bottle of vitamins. I thought those lids were childproof. CAll #2 to poison control. I wonder when social services is going to show up. Well, he would have had to eaten 20 for it to be bad for him. Good thing he didn't eat any, he was just listening to the noise they made in the bottle.

I do get them settled for some morning lessons. Math for Krischan, Shapes and color for Kadence, and site words for Jakob. Meanwhile checking my e-mail and working on getting an ad out to a pub for a client of mine.

Work issues add to my day. The pub requires a specific print driver for you to download and use but when I download it it tells me I need administrator access and to type in a registration code. Nothing is ever easy is it? The flash banner I need to submit is too large and I need to design a static banner since I can't get it even close to the required size. All the while trying to keep my kids busy on their work.

Lunch seems to go smoothly, same clean up, food fight mess. Empty another load from the dishwasher, fill it again, run it. I seriously need two dishwashers. Maybe then I wouldn't have a pile of dishes constantly on my counter, waiting their turn a ride in there. How pleasant my life would be with two dishwashers...I can see it now. Clean, clear counters, no more dish pile ups...ahhhh.

Finally the ads are out, now I need to run out to do some errands.
Shoes, where are shoes. Kadence loves to make a game of running around and when you catch her she kicks her feet so you can't get her shoes on. Beet red face, sweat pouring down my face, I finally manage to get her shoes on. Krischan, for the 3rd time is told to get his socks and shoes on, then I hear crying from the bathroom.

Jakob didn't make it to the potty and he is upset. He gets stripped, I send him upstairs while I clean the bathroom. Toilet, floor, then his clothes go upstairs and I get him dressed...again.

Come downstairs and Kadence has taken off her shoes and is eating ice out of the freezer. Krischan is still without shoes. After about an hour, all kids are in the van, ready to go. The best thing is, is that they fall asleep within 5 minutes of the drive. Ahhh, peace.

We get home, serve dinner. Same cleaning, emptying, screaming kids, spilled milk, thrown food pattern ensues. Jakob starts having a crying jag because he is so tired, Kadence needs a bath because she rolled in mud, and Krischan wants to know if he can watch tv.

Calm Jakob down, bath Kadence, "krischan, get read for bed."
Jakob wants me to lay with him, Krischan is jumping on his bed, and Kadence is singing in her room knocking on the door. Eventually they all climb into bed, and finally, now I can begin my day.

Yes, at 9 in the evening.

Freelance work, cleaning up the house, laundry, Quickbooks maintenance. Pulling my hair out because Quickbooks is a stupid program. Banging my head on the desk because I can't get a month to reconcile. Giving up for now, putting laundry away, emptying dishwasher, putting new load in for morning emptying routine.

Then, I look at the clock. In 4 hours this starts all over again. Time to go collapse into bed next to my snoring husband.

Silly as it sounds. My life is good, and I can deal with a little spilt milk. (Just as long as one day, it decides to slow down just a bit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

The big hairy spider went for a ride

I walk out to my car today after class, get in, throw my stuff in the seat next to me and pick up the phone to call Rick so he knows I am on my way home. That is when it happens. I see a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, and there it sits, a large hairy spider, just staring at me. Me, being the arachnophobe, starts freaking out, looking for anything I can use to smash it. This thing is huge!! I am screaming into the phone for help and sensing that I am going to be attacked at any second. I reach down for a book that is close at hand and the spider goes into a vent in my dash. I don't know how it fit, but it slid right in there and disappeared. I began slamming the book into the line he went into and that is when the book was ripped out of my hands and thrown to the back of the car. The spider slowly came out from the vent, got into my purse and came out with paper and a pen. I think this spider must have escaped from a lab or something because it then proceeded to wr