Skip to main content

Harumph!

When I am a bit stressed out I clean, and/or cook, and/or shop. Well, shopping is out of the question in this certain situation, so I cook. Then clean, and cook some more.

This cooking adventure came to me from the Pioneer Womans cookbook. By the way, here she is if you don't know her. (thepioneerwoman.com) I started with going through her book, realizing that everything is so largely proportioned and largely "home-styled" But that is ok, I wanted to try a few things out.

I made the trip to the grocery store buying everything needed for a weeks worth of breakfast, lunch and dinners and started my escapade.

First, Cinnamon rolls. Wow, I thought, this is going to be a big undertaking. Her recipe creates 50 rolls so I cut it in half. I wasn't so sure about making that much. To my surprise, it was easy, and so fun. I over did the filling, along with adding my own little twist of brown sugar in it, and made the icing a bit too runny, but looks can be so deceiving. The icing I made for them, well liquid, acted as a moisture accent and added that much more flavor. And the filling, even though it oozed way too much, was so sticky and yummy, this is how I responded when I took my first bite:

Oh......My....GOD!!! These are #$%#G good! Kids were not around, so never fear. Plus I said it in my head as my mouth was full. The first pan was done by evening, I placed the second pan in the fridge for breakfast the next day and froze the remaining three pans for later. I so will be making this again and stock piling these bad boys. Never again will I buy Pilsbury Cinnamon rolls!

Next came the fried chicken. Of course I am a recipe changer so instead of soaking the chicken in buttermilk all day, I soaked it in beer. Chicken marinated in beer is good. I do have to admit, this is the first time I made fried chicken and it actually worked! The chicken was done and it was nice and crispy brown, not burnt.

I paired it with some corn on the cob and parmesean mashed potatoes. Wow, talk about a sunday dinner on a monday night. Something has to make the monday worth it right?

My third experiment is her brisket. So far it has been sitting in the marinade for 1 full day and will be cooked tomorrow. Oh-yum, can't wait for that one. I have brussel sprouts to roast and maybe some cornbread to go with it. Ah, my knees are shaking.

Stress, what stress?

Tomorrow I am going to go Martha and make her breakfast sandwich that has ham, gruyere cheese and eggs on it. Then work on my reMarthable brownie. I am pretty sure I have the final tweak in place. I think I might also take the left over filling to the cinnamon rolls and roll it into some crescent rolls. (can I say roll one more time?)

When is this stress going to go away, I might be a little large after the fact. Maybe I should focus the stress on cleaning up. This house is a pit that looks like a storm passed through it. The storm with the names of Krischan, Kadence, and Jakob.

But I guess that is life. How we deal with the stress is what molds us into who we are and who we become. Maybe it will mold me into a Food Nework Star...

Hey, a girl can wish can't she?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

Weird things I do...or are they normal?

I found myself washing an egg shell yesterday morning after breakfast. I walked around in a circle several times from my living room to foyer and back again, not really knowing what I was doing it for. Put the nesquick powder in the fridge. (everyone does that) Went out into the garage to get a coke and got in my car instead. Looked at the wall in my bedroom and decided I was going to try a handstand push-up. I got the handstand accomplished, not the push-up. Freaked out when I tried to wake up my computer thinking it had died when I realized that I had actually shut it down the night before. Rubbed lotion on my legs wondering why it felt so weird. Till I actually looked at the bottle and saw I was rubbing body wash on them. I still have the crayon wrappings from when we made easter egg crayons. In my mind I keep looking at them thinking: "I can do something with that paper, why throw it away?" What an interesting life I lead huh? I always end up wondering...