Skip to main content

Straight into the fog*

* Sorry, but this won't be my usual post. Just a piece of writing I have been working on for a bit of time now. Let me know what you think.

There are some days that I stand and stare at the wall in front of me. Describing it as a wall is the only way I can make sense of it, because it isn't really a wall. On one side it is serene, lucid, understanding. Closer to the wall it becomes quiet, peaceful, pulling. I think these feelings are emanated so close to it because it wants you to come over, to run to the other side, past this wall. For those that head toward it so fast, they don't sense this and run straight in and are lost forever. Some move toward it slower but still steady, fooled they become by the peaceful feeling and the pull, that they don't pause, but walk through. They might come out for a bit here and there, but always go back for longer periods of time. Then there are those like me, that hang around or walk along the wall, sensing the change, stopping to stare at it and try to make sense of what they see and feel.

Imagine if you will a deep fog, such in the way that you can't see your hand in front of your face. That fog appears to be something you can touch, to feel, to run your hand along. Once you put your hand on it, it goes through. Shivers crawl up your arm as the cold hits and a slight ripple can be seen forming along the wall where your hand disappears. The next thing that happens is what keeps me out, the sense of loss, nothing, confusion. A piece of you goes in, and all the feelings the wall emanates go away, all except for the pull, that, becomes stronger. Someone, or something grabbing onto you trying to coax you in deeper.

The only way I can defeat this pull is to turn my head and focus on things in the distance, in the clearness of what is behind me. Then the pull becomes weaker and almost like a pair of lovers hands letting go of one another, the fog caresses my hand as it lets it drop. Then and only then am I able to walk along the wall again, moving slowly away, back into the lucid world.

The wall knows I will be back and bides it's time, the wall knows that one day I wont be able to turn my head away, and will finally walk all the way in. Walk into the nothingness, the depth of loneliness and torture of insanity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

exhaustion sets in

First off, where the hell did the week go? I don't remember any of it... oh-wait, that is right, my oldest is a genius and I have a lot of mud in my back yard. Thursdays feel like Fridays to me. I wearily walk in the door around 8 at night after having two classes back to back, so basically from 12:30 to 6:20 I am going and going. I know, I am such a wimp...can't handle it...I am old. I showed my class today the 1988 tony award logo. None of them were born yet. NONE OF THEM. Why the 1988 one? I don't know, because it was in the book I was showing them about type and typesetting. DUH, don't ask stupid questions anymore. Look at what keeps me going: a sexy, wonderful, loving husband who puts up with my shit. And yes, I can dish out a lot of that. My heart swells just looking at him. My first born who drives me nuts a lot, but he is a genius and I love him. Did I tell you he was a genius? My wild middle child, who in under one minute can wreck an entire roo

the color yellow

I LOVE the color yellow. It is sunshine, happiness, bright, and fun. For the past couple of weeks I have been updating my kitchen. Painting the cabinets and walls and re-doing the counter tops. The color scheme I picked is yellow, black and cream. Today was the day I finally got to paint the walls with the "applesauce" color I picked. YEE..OWZA. I have never put a color on my walls that made me doubt my sense of design and decision making in my home. This color is doing that to me. I love yellow, but is it right for my walls? I am unsure. I need to place the second coat on and live with it. Beginning to think I should have picked a very light warm grey color instead. Yellow is definitely Yellow...

Weird things I do...or are they normal?

I found myself washing an egg shell yesterday morning after breakfast. I walked around in a circle several times from my living room to foyer and back again, not really knowing what I was doing it for. Put the nesquick powder in the fridge. (everyone does that) Went out into the garage to get a coke and got in my car instead. Looked at the wall in my bedroom and decided I was going to try a handstand push-up. I got the handstand accomplished, not the push-up. Freaked out when I tried to wake up my computer thinking it had died when I realized that I had actually shut it down the night before. Rubbed lotion on my legs wondering why it felt so weird. Till I actually looked at the bottle and saw I was rubbing body wash on them. I still have the crayon wrappings from when we made easter egg crayons. In my mind I keep looking at them thinking: "I can do something with that paper, why throw it away?" What an interesting life I lead huh? I always end up wondering...